The Year of the Home Runs


The game yesterday between the Nationals and the Brewers was so much fun to watch, well ok it was fun for me as a Nats probably super painful as a Brewers fan. But seriously this game tied the record for most home runs in a single inning at 5 which was last achieved by the Brewers in 2006. Also the Nats became the eighth team to hit four in a row which was last achieved by Arizona in 2010. This game was insane to watch especially after the first 8 runs scored were all off of home runs.

Now this game pushed me to my limit and has forced me to believe that this is the year of the home runs, granted people aren't hitting to Barry Bonds level but there are two rookies who are killing it with home runs. Both of them are for teams I am not the biggest fan of; first up is Cody Bellinger from the Dodgers, he has hit 28 so far and is on track to hit 44 this year. Cody is the first Dodger to hit 5 home runs in his first 11 games. Much as I don't like the Dodgers, I have to say that watching Cody has been fun. The second rookie I have to mention is of course Aaron Judge the 6'7" juggernaut for the Yankees. He has hit 32 home runs so far and of course as anyone who watched the Home Run Derby saw he is a beast.

As you can see these two rookies are on fire and they are not the only players who are serving up home run after home run. Giancarlo Stanton leads the league with 33 followed by Judge with 32 then we have Moustakas with 29. The top 10 players have hit more then 25 so far. Last year felt like it was constantly a battle of the pitcher and this year I am seeing more and more hits and especially home runs.

I enjoy watching all types of games and the pitching duels you see more strategy come into play which is always fun to watch. Yet sometimes you need those games where it is just run after run after run, well only if its your team that is scoring all of those runs otherwise it is pretty difficult to watch. I honestly can't wait to see what the rest of the season has to offer in terms of home runs and how many the leader will end up hitting. All I can say is that it will be so much fun to watch.

I hope you enjoyed this post and will keep following my love affair with sports.

Comments

Popular Posts