March Madness Post: But not the Madness You Think

 

 If you know me, you know that March Madness is my favorite time of the year. I got to go to the first round games in 08 and 09 to cheer on my Alma Mater American University as they made the tournament for the first two times in school history. So this is my favorite time of year and I wanted to write about the start of this tournament and I will after the first round is over but I honestly cannot write about the tournament and the teams because of what was shown yesterday. 

Look at this photo, these are the major differences between what the Women get vs the Men. The men get a better gym then honestly most gyms are in general while the women get what amounts to a horrible hotel gym. The NCAA Women's Tournament VP came out with a statement that said originally it was due to space but in videos shown there is definitely enough space to add more equipment. Also what got me boiling was that only once teams made the Sweet 16 would they get an increase of weights above 30lbs. Let me tell you something, I'm not a college basketball player nor am I an athlete right now but I when I workout use 30lb weights or more fairly often. I'm thankful the NCAA is fixing this issue but it honestly should never have gotten to this point. What were they thinking that we would all be so happy to have the tournament back that no one would notice. Well they were very wrong if they thought that.


These photos above are another travesty. How was this even allowed or approved? Either both teams get the same amount of swag or don't give it out. What this evokes is a that the Women should be grateful to be in the tournament while the Men are welcomed with open arms. No just no. I'm more excited for the Women's Tournament this year then the Men's. I'm excited to see who will go far and while I love watching UConn, it is so wonderful seeing the rise of so many teams like Stanford, South Carolina, Baylor, Tennessee and so many more. This tournament will be madness. So NCAA you have a job to do, you constantly say you support Women's sports and support Women's rights well this is opposite of that, fix this and fix this now.

I hope you enjoyed this post and will keep following my love affair with sports.

Comments

Popular Posts