Thank You Roy Williams

Today I woke up to the news that Roy Williams has retired from North Carolina. For a split second I thought it was an April Fools joke but I know it's not. Coach you have been at UNC the entire time I've been a fan and you have always been the constant behind the bench. The videos of you celebrating wins with your players are some of my favorite videos I have seen. I've never met you and it has always been a dream of mine to do so a dream I still have and will hope for. 

Roy Williams retires with 903 wins over 33 seasons, 3 National Championships, 2007 inductee into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame, 2000-2009 coach of the decade and so many more career high lights that it would take up this post. So I will link to the UNC press release for Coach here. I'm lucky I got to see him coach live when I saw UNC play against Stanford in 2017. 

This is a hard post to write and I never went to UNC or obviously played for him but to me he has always coached the right way. You can see the love he has for his players and how much he cares for them after their time at UNC. Granted I am a UNC fan but it's not often you see a Head Coach in the middle of a season watch a former player compete in the NBA, but that is exactly what Roy did for Coby White. Roy Williams you will be missed by players and fans everywhere. The college game will not be the same without you on the sidelines just like the game changed when Dean Smith retired. I wish you so much joy in retirement and I know this isn't the end of your involvement with UNC.

I hope you enjoyed this post and will continue following my love affair with sports.

Comments

Popular Posts