My Journey in College Athletics

 
On February 10th 2016 I stepped foot onto the campus of SF State to start my first day as an intern in the Compliance office of the Athletic Department. I honestly had no idea how the internship would go or if I would even truly love working in athletics as much as I had built it up in my head over the years. Well we can all tell that I have loved every minute of my time here at State and I wouldn't trade any of it for the world.

I spent 6 months as an intern learning the ins and out of the compliance office and everything else it takes to make the department run smoothly. I worked on travel claims, I helped out working some of the spring games and got to know the coaches as well as the administrative staff. It was the experience of a life time and I thank SF State for taking a chance on me and for Sports Management World Wide for helping me get that foot in the door I've been dreaming about since being in college.

After 6 months as an intern I interviewed for and got the job of being an internal coordinator for SF State. They had seen how passionate I am for athletics and wanted to give me a chance to prove myself even more. I took on responsibilities in travel and worked on claims. As the year progressed I took on extra duties as were necessary, I learned how to stat quite a few of the games, drove some of the teams to their games if they were short a driver and many more wonderful opportunities. SF State sent me to Regional Rules which is compliance camp for the NCAA and I learned so much about my chosen field. It was truly an experience for me to sit in the conference rooms and meet so many people who are experts in the field and just soak in all of the knowledge. Also meeting so many people in both Division II and Division I was truly amazing.

About a month after Regional Rules our Associate AD of Compliance left to take a job back at his alma mater and I was able to step in and help keep the department afloat at least just in the Compliance portion while we figured out the next steps. As some of you know I interviewed for and got the position of Director of Compliance. State decided to some what change the position around and it so far is the single best job I've ever had. SF State has become my home and working with our staff and coaches has been truly amazing. Everyone here is welcoming and never once made me feel like I couldn't fulfill any of the duties that have been assigned to me. I only hope to keep growing and learning to make every day a new experience.

I hope you enjoyed this post and will keep following my love affair with sports.

Comments

Popular Posts