Welcome Back to my Blog!



I never know how to start this post especially as it has been three years since I've posted here. Right now I'm sitting at home watching the NWHL on Twitch and working on refreshing this blog. I miss writing this blog and actually using this outlet for my love of sports. This has not been an easy year and it definitely has not been easy in the sports world. I really wish I had written here during the past year but I kept second guessing myself and the idea that anyone would actually read my blog. 

This post was going to be a recap of the last year but do we really need that, we all lived it and I'm not sure that is what I want to write about. What I really want to write about is being a woman in sports. It's hard but I truly have been lucky in my career. San Francisco State University Athletics has been behind me every step of the way in my career. My boss Stephanie supports me and our entire department in so many ways that are intangible as well as tangible. Working with her is truly wonderful and having a female Athletic Director is amazing, she pushes all of us to be our best. See I know I'm lucky I haven't had to really fight for my place in college athletics or to be taken seriously as a woman in sports. 

The past few years I've had the honor of also serving as the SWA (Senior Woman Administrator) for SF State and this has put me in the room with the other AD's, SWA's, FAR's and of course the conference office during executive committee meetings. Me being me the first year and a half I had the biggest imposter syndrome possible and didn't really take advantage of the opportunity I was given. Stephanie noticed and she called me out on it in the best way and in a way that I knew she supported me and my dreams for the future. Since then I've striven to participate in ways that use my skills and also put me out of comfort zone. I've grown so much in the last two years in my position and I feel more comfortable being a woman in sports.

One of my "new" duties within the conference is as the liaison for the Baseball Head Coaches to the executive committee. I remember my first meeting and I remember how scared I was to lead the meeting and chair it. I was nervous walking into that room  full of men and to take charge. I wasn't sure how they would react since I was I believe the first female liaison for Baseball. I think I did well that first meeting at least I hope I did. This past year I also chaired a committee compromised of CCAA and PAC West Baseball coaches and admin to put together a schedule for the Spring Season that as we all know didn't workout. I felt comfortable leading during those meeting well ok I felt comfortable after the first meeting but for me it shows how much we have grown in sports that women are leading in traditionally male dominated sports.

These last few years we have seen a rise in women coaching in football, baseball, and basketball. This is wonderful and I cannot wait until it is the norm and not a headline when a woman gets hired. Thank you all for reading this post I know it is a bit all over the place but I had to put these stories and feelings on this blog.

I hope you enjoyed this post and will keep following my love affair with sports.

Comments

Popular Posts