Problems within the NCAA

Hey readers sorry for the insanely long break of writing on here, I will try to be better about it.  The post I'm writing today was prompted by the recent sanctions that the NCAA has levied against Ohio State.  While I know that my Ohio State friends will not be too pleased with what I write, I believe that the NCAA should have suspended all 5 players from playing in the season ending Bowl game because of the main fact that at least three of the players who were punished have the chance of going pro after this year and thus will not be punished for the actions that they committed.  Pryor the heralded quarterback for the Buck Eyes is now, due to the punishment brought down by the NCAA, more then likely going to go Pro and enter the NFL Draft.  What does this say to student athletes; it says hey if you get caught selling memorabilia that you aren't supposed too well just join the draft because then you won't have to deal with the consequences.  The punishment doesn't fit the crime, the student must have known they were doing something wrong and just wanted a quick buck or two.  The other major part that is upsetting me about Ohio State in this situation is that they are supporting the players and trying to find a way to mitigate the issue saying that they were selling the items to make money for their families in these hard times.  The players were already helping their families by having everything in college paid for. 

One of my other big issues with the NCAA this year has been how they have handled the Cam Newton situation at Auburn.  I find it very hard that Cam Newton knew nothing of what his father was doing in terms of getting him recruited to a big name school.  I will give Auburn the benefit of the doubt because it does seem like they were truly shocked when the revelations were coming forth.  Yet Cam Newton was almost going to be expelled from Florida before he left for cheating in class and he had been arrested earlier that season for buying a stolen laptop.  There are many issues with Cam Newton that I just feel that him winning all of these awards is a false sort of hope.  I foresee the same thing happening to Cam that happened to Reggie Bush and more then likely the Heisman trophy will have to be given back. Why tarnish these amazing awards with players who can't seem to be both athletes and role-models.  While I give that Cam Newton is a fantastic player and one of the best quarterbacks around this college season, shouldn't the award go to someone who projects a spirit of genuine competition.  The way the NCAA handled the entire situation left me with a sour note in my mouth, I can't believe that a single day after Auburn voluntarily made Cam ineligible, the NCAA made him eligible by saying that he had no idea what his father had done. 

The NCAA has gone from being an organization that I truly respected to one that makes me scratch my head and it all started when Mark Emmert became the President of the NCAA.  He has made some decisions that I don't agree with especially like stalling on whether or not players are eligible since they had played on professional teams and if they accepted money over and beyond necessary expenses.  If a player wants to give up playing professionally to play for a college program, get a degree and go Pro, who are we to stop them.  Fine give them a suspension for a few games, tell them they have to pay back some of the money but at least give them a shot.  I look at how different the NCAA acts towards basketball and football and it frightens me.  I see the NCAA taking a harder stance on basketball which affects more players because there are less people on the team so a two game suspension completely changes the look of the game where as the NCAA seems to be more lenient with football as evidenced by the sanctions brought down on Ohio State and the non-sanctions of Auburn.

Comments

Popular Posts