College Basketball: 2011 Preview

Today is officially the start of regular season for College Basketball and I couldn't be more excited. This is the day I have been waiting for since UConn cut down the nets in April. I live for these next few months, every week when the rankings come out my heart trembles to see where my beloved Tar Heels will be ranked and then following them where the Jayhawks are ranked. So yes two years ago when UNC was in its free fall, I had an agonizing year but I stood by my team and my coach and never walked away though I was slightly thankful to have Kansas and the American University Women's basketball team to keep me sane and grounded during the season. This year though the expectations are high for UNC they go into the season ranked #1 in the polls due mainly to the fact they bring back all of their starters in Barnes, Zeller, McDonald, and not only that but they have a great crop of freshman who I'm super excited to watch and see how they develop. Hopefully they won't give me the heart attack Barnes gave me last year when he took sometime to hit his stride and become the player we all knew or at least hoped he would be. Tonight UNC played Michigan St., in probably the most highly anticipated non-conference game this year, they are playing on a carrier craft in San Diego for our troops, while I wish I could be there, I am so proud that we have two schools who are playing for our troops. This game will be very interesting to watch and see how UNC shapes up for the rest of the year and what needs improvement.

Now to more of a general preseason preview we have many strong teams this year and besides UNC no real clear cut teams who are destined to be playing in March and trying to cut down the nets. We have Kentucky who while yes they lost some amazing talent to the one and done rule and graduation, they do still have a very strong team and are currently ranked #2 in the preseason polls. While I may hate Calipari and yes I really do, he does know how to recruit players who are great basketball players, now is it in the most legitimate way, no one really knows but as history shows probably not. I know, I know my Kentucky friends will not be too thrilled with this post and my other posts against coach Calipari but I hold nothing against the players and them I actually like for the most part and I do want them to succeed just not at the expense of UNC. We also have Kansas who did lose two amazing players in the Morris twins and while I know they left to try and get a better deal due to the current lockout in the NBA, I wish they had stayed to play their senior year at Kansas, watching them play together for the past three years has been amazing. Now Kansas needs to work with the loss of 4 amazing players two who left early, the Morris Twins and two who graduated, Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar. I hope they do win the Big 12 again and go far in March.

I hope you all enjoyed this post and after the weekend I will have a post recapping the weekend in sports. Keep following my love affair with sports.

Comments

Popular Posts