NBA Update: Trades, Deals and a Short Season

Now that the players and owners have signed a new CBA agreement, the NBA season is now in full swing and the headlines are being taken over with trades and deals.  Teams are fighting over the free agents and the players who want out of their current teams and deals.  The two headlines that are the most prevalent are where will Chris Paul end up at the beginning of the season and where will Dwight Howard end up.  So far the NBA, well in reality David Stern has nixed two potential trades where Chris Paul would have ended up with the Lakers, saying that Chris Paul is needed in New Orleans way more then in Los Angeles.  This is a bit shocking for me as I don't really see why the NBA has any say over where players will end up, granted fine so the NBA owns the Hornets right now but shouldn't the players have a say where they end up in trades.  Oh right I forgot the players are just pieces on the chessboard of the NBA.  Look at Lamar Odom who was recently traded to the Mavericks after hearing he was going to go the New Orleans in the first proposed trade for Chris Paul. I would honestly hate to be Lamar right now, how does a team do that to one of their players especially one who was the sixth man of the year for you last year.  Also a player who lives and breathes your team.  I may hate the Lakers and I really do but I admire Odom and think he was a good fit for them but hey its the NBA and that's what happens right.

We all know that Dwight Howard wants out the Magic and I can understand that but I also think he should stay with them.  I think he is a great center and really think that with the right team he can win in Orlando and I have always thought of Orlando as his team, granted he has already won a ring there and may want to move to a team where he can win another one. I do get that but as a fan, I want him to play in Orlando and be on one team his whole career, as it is now so rare for players to be on one team for ever.  Now its all about moving around and going from team to team to try and win as many times as possible.  I kind of don't want that to keep happening though I do know that it will.

Last piece of news that I want to discuss in terms of the NBA for this post, is the amnesty rule that is now in the CBA, this allows teams to waive a player who was signed before 2011-2012 before the start of the season and other teams can claim them at a discounted rate though the previous team has to pay the balance, yet that balance doesn't count towards the salary cap.  The first player has now been waived with this clause and that is Chauncy Billups, he was traded from Denver last year to the Knicks so that his teammate Carmelo could go there and now they don't want him anymore and he could end up anywhere. I feel bad for Chauncy, I think that this is really sad and a bad way to treat players who have given their heart and soul to their teams.

I hope you all enjoyed this post and keep following my love affair with sports.

Comments

Popular Posts