MLB: National League vs American League which is better

After recently going to a Giants vs. Brewers game with my boyfriend and my little sister I have decided to write a post about why I think that the National League is the purer form of baseball.
The one difference between the two leagues is the position of the designated hitter.  In the National League there is no designated hitter and thus the Pitcher has to hit where as in the American League they can have a washed up player who still may have some power in him continue playing way past his prime just to pad his career number.

I personally think that the everyone who is playing has to be able to hit, I know that Pitchers aren't the best hitters but if the National League didn't have its rule then how would fans be able to witness something as amazing as Madison Bumgarner hitting home runs and grand slams.  Here is a player who wants to be successful on both sides of the ball and if we all played with the American League rules then we wouldn't have the ability to see something so amazing.

On the other hand one thing I can give the American League with the designated hitter rule is that it does make the game a bit more interesting as you can field a team where there are 9 great hitters.  This does make the game higher scoring and gives fans more of show. While I can understand the performance aspect of the designated hitter I personally enjoy the pure form of the game vs. the showmanship that is the designated hitter.

I hope you enjoyed this post and will keep following my love affair with sports.

Comments

Popular Posts