National Signing Day

Today is the first day of the early signing period and if you follow Division I basketball then you are now seeing all of the Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter posts flooding you with the announcements of your team's new recruits for next year. For me this year the early signing period is taking on a different feel, while I am thrilled and excited to see who all of the new recruits are for my various teams, I also understand all of the work that goes on behind the scenes. Being the Director of Compliance at SF State I am the one who is making certain that our coaches have received the NLI paperwork and that everything is correct and that the athletes coming in are most likely going to be eligible.

Working with all of the various departments to get all of the paperwork done on time is a bit like being the ring leader for the circus. I have to make sure the coaches have all done the proper steps initially so that I can issue the NLI, then I move on to actually creating the scholarship and signing paperwork, after that I need the Director of Athletics to sign off on everything as well as Financial Aid. Once that is done then I scan everything back in and send it off to the coach. As you can see it is quite the long process and thankfully this time I only really had to do 15 NLI's at least so far this week.

This post came about because I was looking on Instagram and saw the posts by UNC for their new basketball recruits and it made me remember that today is the first day. Why I even forgot about it for a second is quite startling as that was my sole purpose yesterday trying to make certain I got everything done. I can't wait to welcome our new recruits next year and see them grow here at SF State, I am also excited to see what UNC's basketball team will be like next year since you all know how big of a fan I am.

I hope you enjoyed this post and will keep following my love affair with sports.

Comments

Popular Posts