Let Me Reintroduce Myself

 

Hi my name is Zoya and I am a woman who works in college athletics. I work as the Director of Compliance/ SWA at San Francisco State University which is a Division II NCAA institution. My love affair with sports started at a young age but I didn't fall in love with the college world until high school. Besides obviously SFSU, my favorite teams are in no particular order American University athletics, Golden State Warriors, UNC Men's Basketball, SF Giants, Washington Capitals, Italy's Mens National Soccer Team (The Azzurri) and quite a few more. As you can see I have a long list of favorite teams.

While at American University I got the wonderful opportunity to have my first job in college athletics when I was the manager for the Women's Basketball team. To all of those who know me now, y'all know I still talk about my time with those incredible women with love. After that it took me 5 years to get back into the sports world and actually in 7 days is the 5th anniversary of my first day interning at SFSU.


This photo on the side is from the summer of 2016 about 5 months into me interning with SFSU in the compliance department. I will always and forever be thankful to Joey Logan for letting me intern without any real knowledge of compliance and teaching me. That internship led to a part time job as an internal coordinator with SFSU and my time with SFSU has and is continuing to be amazing (ok obviously COVID year sucks). I have had so many opportunities through this job and it really is such a dream.


 About a year after I started as the internal coordinator our Associate AD of Compliance left and I stepped into Compliance to keep everything running smoothly. I have always wanted work in compliance in college athletics so it has been an absolute dream to work in my dream field. SFSU Athletics has some of the best people I have ever had to ability to work with. From the admin to the coaches to of course the student athletes, it has and continues to be my absolute pleasure working with all of you. The community of SFSU Athletics is definitely my favorite part of my job.

Today is National Women and Girls in Sports day and thinking about my journey as a woman in sports is mind blowing. I have had a wonderful experience with my co-workers and colleagues around the conference.

I love this photo on the left it is from one of our CCAA executive council meetings back when we could meet in person and not on zoom. The reason why I love this photo is because look how happy we all are being in the same room. We represent different schools but yet we all enjoy working together toward a common goal for the CCAA. 

I hope you all enjoyed this post and keep following my love affair with sports.


Comments

Popular Posts