Olympic Wrap Up

Well what a two weeks we have had with these Olympics.  Memories were made and athletes broke records. Two weeks of sports brought together over 200 nations as they competed in events ranging from swimming to handball to track and field.  For two weeks people forgot about everything else going on in the world and focused on the blessing that is the Olympics. 

The history of the Olympics is amazing and if you go back to the ancient Olympics, yes I am talking about the ones held in Greece way back in the day when only men competed and it was before the common era.  If you do go back in time, you notice that even back then the games were something special.  There was always a truce in place during the games, a time when athletes were able to safely get to Athens and compete and safely make it home.  This is why I love the games because for me it isn't about the medal count, though if you ask Phil, then yes it about the medal count and having the USA do the best with Russia being a close second.  Yet in all honesty it's more then that, it's a time when I can watch these athletes compete at a high level and strive to win a medal that they have worked so hard for.

For me my favorite moments of the Olympics wasn't when Michael Phelps broke the record to become the athlete with the most medals, though don't get me wrong I do love Michael Phelps and that was amazing but for me it was when Kieren Behan and Oscar Pistorius competed in the Olympics. Both of these men had such inspiring stories of how they got to the Olympics. 

Kieren was one of I believe it was two Irish gymnasts to compete in the Olympics.  He came from being told that he would never compete again due to staggering injuries that he suffered at a gymnastics meet and yet here he was at the Olympic games and while he may have not medaled, he won just by being there and just by competing at the Olympics.







Here we have Oscar Pistorius and clearly everyone can see what makes him so special to the Olympics. He was the first person ever to compete in the Olympics as a double amputee and the mark he has made on the sport will never be discounted.  He made it to the semi-finals of the 400m race and the final of the 4x400m race.  The fact that he has been able to compete is amazing for the Olympics and I can't wait until Rio when he will be back and hopefully get a medal this time around.

I hope you all enjoyed this post and keep following my love affair with sports.







Comments

Popular Posts