Addressing the Plight of Troubled Sports Stars

Normally this blog is about what is going in the sports world in terms of trades, recaps and my own views on teams but today I feel like I have to write a post about the dangers of being a famous athlete.  Now most professional athletes are wonderful people and they go on to live prosperous and meaningful lives there is the group of athletes who end up spiraling out of control.  With what is going on with Lamar Odom makes me realize that it doesn't matter how successful or talented you are if you are unable to find a way to deal with your inner demons then nothing will help.  This is a player who played amazing and had all of the talent in the world to keep playing at a high level but still had personal issues that plagued him.  He is not the first nor will he be the last professional athlete to go through something like this.

I know that pro teams have a large staff to take care of all physical aspects of their players and I wonder if it may not be a smart idea to have a sports psychologist on the staff for players.  This could be a way to maybe mitigate what is going on; granted we hear more about the troubled stars then we do about the ones living a good life since the media loves misery.  Yet having a psychologist on staff might help players take control of their problems in a place that they already feel safe since for them playing is a way to take control over everything that is going on.  Now I know this post is different but I felt like I had to write something.

I hope you enjoyed this post and will keep following my love affair with sports.

Comments

Popular Posts