Alex Ovechkin Scores his 500th NHL Goal


This may not be the best photo taken last night right after Ovie scored his 500th goal but I took this photo and thus had to use it for the blog.  I honestly can't believe that quite possibly my last NHL game in DC was such a historic game and that I was able to be there when Ovechkin became the first Russian born hockey player to hit 500 goals and he is the 5th fastest at 801 games.  The game was so electric and everyone there just knew that history was going to happen on home ice.

The Caps took an early 2-0 lead in the 1st period and it honestly was never a question of whether or not the Caps were going to win but by how much.  The Caps went up 4-1 in the second period and I started to get a bit scared but you could tell that every time he had the puck he was going for number 500 after scoring two against the Rangers to get to 499. 500 was such a classic Ovie goal, it was on a power play and he just shot it and it went in.  The stadium erupted in loud cheers and a standing ovation, the entire team cleared the bench to celebrate with him and it honestly took about 5 minutes before the game could resume.  I do feel bad for Ottawa that the game ended up being 7-1 and it was such a big blowout win for the Caps but they have been playing so amazing this season and they are just on fire.  Knocking on wood but I have a good feeling about this Caps team and their chances in the playoffs.  I have such a strong feeling that I'm debating getting NHL Center Ice so I can watch my Caps play once I move back home to San Francisco.  I honestly still can't believe I was at the game last night.  Thank you Ovie for giving this fan what she needed when she needed as a going away present.

I hope you all enjoyed this post and will keep following my love affair with sports.

Comments

Popular Posts