Soccer: Being a World Cup Fan versus Having a Specific Team

Happy New Years all of my wonderful readers, I hope you all enjoyed your holiday weekend and didn't have too much trouble going about business as usual this first Monday of the year.  One of my resolutions this year is to be more consistent with this blog as I enjoy writing about my love of sports and hope that you all enjoy reading about my opinions.  Also I hope that if any of you have anything you wish me to write about or have opinions yourself that you do not hesitate to comment on the post.  I take all comments very seriously and will try to fulfill any wishes that people have for me to write about.  As said in previous posts this blog is for all of the sports fans out there and not just for me.  Now to the subject of this post soccer and how I can become a better fan of a sport that I love.

Recently I've been watching a lot of soccer on TV and I have come to the startling realization that it is very difficult for me to choose a club to root for because I have so many different favorite players that play in the European leagues.  Every four years I go crazy and schedule my life around when the World Cup games are happening and especially around Italy's games and of course the US but then the World Cup is over and I'm not watching soccer anymore.  I always miss watching soccer though I make the excuse that the games are on too early or not at convenient times for me.  Then I realized the real reason I don't watch soccer and its because I don't have a team that I root for which makes it very hard to watch games when I have no personal investment in what is going on.  I found that every four years my favorite players come together to play on their national teams and I have a chance to cheer for them. Then the games are done and all of the players go back to their respective clubs leaving me hanging for four more years.

I keep wondering how do people choose their favorite club, is it based on the city or based on the players or even based on the history of the club itself.  If based on the city then what happens if a city has more then one club like Milan, there is Inter Milan and AC Milan, which club would you choose.  If based on players then wouldn't there be the problem of what happens if your favorite player gets transferred then do you switch allegiance.  I personally have a long list of clubs that I like because of players and I'm having a hard time deciding on a club to root for, another problem is that all of the clubs are in different countries for the most part and can I have more then one club to root for.  I try and follow Fiorentina, Real Madrid, Arsenal, Roma but that is primarily because I have players that I love on each of these teams.  I follow Fiorentina because of Alberto Gilardino, and Roma for Daniele De Rossi, these players happen to be my two favorite Italian players and every World Cup I get very excited to watch them play.  Recently with the end of the World Cup I found out that one of my new favorite strikers, Van Persie, plays for Arsenal and I have become highly intrigued with the club and have tried to catch a few matches.  While is there really any doubt as to why I follow Real Madrid, I love Ronaldo and think that he is an amazing player who constantly shows the world why he is one of the highest paid stars.  But back to the important question, how do I choose a club to follow because I truly do want to get back into soccer and not just watch it every four years like I do the Olympics.  So if anyone has any idea's on how to get me back into soccer please let me know and comment on this post.

I hope you all enjoyed this post and keep following my love affair with sports.

Comments

Popular Posts