NCAA has a Heart

So I know that a couple months ago I wrote a scathing post about the NCAA in terms of how they react to violations of NCAA rules and regulations.  This time the NCAA did something right.  This past weekend Thomas Robinson from the Kansas Jayhawks lost his mother suddenly after losing his grandparents earlier.  The NCAA has allowed the University of Kansas to help pay for the funeral costs and are allowing the entire team to charter to Washington DC for the funeral so they can be there to support Robinson.  I find this to be quite amazing and hope the NCAA can take what they have done here to heart and continue on this path towards becoming an organization for the student athletes and not for the money.

The NCAA has proven to me at least in this situation that they do understand that sometimes a school has to step outside of what is technically in the rules to help out a student athlete.  While I would never condone a school practicing recruitment violations or having athletes sell gifts from the school.  In this instance I think that the University of Kansas had to do something because not only does it affect one player it affects the team.  The best way I can describe why this affects everyone is a quote from my favorite sports movie Coach Carter "You said we were a team right, one person struggles and we all struggle, one person triumphs and we all triumph."  Basketball is not an individual sport, you cannot win a game with only one person on the floor.  The NCAA has proven that they actually understand this logic in the fact that they are working with Kansas to make certain that no violations do occur while allowing KU to do all they can do to help Robinson in his time of need.  I really want all of you to please keep Thomas Robinson and his nine year old sister in your thoughts and prayers as they deal with difficult time in their lives.

Here is a link just released by the University of Kansas on the funeral arrangements for Thomas Robinson's mother http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012511aab.html.

I hope you keep following my love affair with sports.

Comments

Popular Posts