BASEBALL IS BACK!!


Last weekend saw the beginning of baseball season and a new chance for 32 teams to try for the World Series Pennant in October. This year has been very different for me in terms of baseball, I was unusually excited about the start and that is saying something as its the same weekend as the Final Four, NBA is winding down as well as the NHL. So as you can see there is a lot to grab my attention but I made certain I was able to watch some games and actually that Sunday had ESPN on all day to watch.

Baseball is an interesting sport because it isn't as flashy as the basketball or even hockey, yet it draws you in and keeps you engaged. You want to see what a pitcher or hitter are going to do in a different situations; if a runner is on first do you go for the sac fly or bunt to advance them or try to get on base and give them more time to run. As a pitcher you are trying to work the strike zone to your advantage. Last night I was watching the Cubs and there was one inning where Lester filled the bases with zero outs and then managed to get the next three batters out without sacrificing a run. Those types of innings are wonderful to watch if it isn't your team.

The Giants have started off pretty rocky going 2-5 in the first two series on the road. Game one seemed like a repeat of last year where we had the lead but our bullpen gave up the win. The last couple of games have looked better and I'm hoping the bullpen is settling down and going to pitch better. The other issue is that our outfield isn't producing while at bat and Bochy has already gone through a couple line up changes to try and combat that. I have faith in the Giants and do think they will contend; honestly I would rather they struggle early on then do great in the first half and fall apart in the second like last year. The biggest fear for the Giants right now is that Buster Posey has a delayed reaction to being hit in the head by a 94 mph pitch yesterday; so far everyone is saying he is fine but the team is reevaluating him today and I should expect to see him sitting out today to give him one more day to recover fully.

I hope you enjoyed this post and will keep following my love affair with sports. 

Comments

Popular Posts