Did the Nationals Prove that MLB Needs Mercy Rule


Yesterday the Washington Nationals beat the New York Mets 23-5 off of Rendon's 6-6 hitting, 10 RBI's and 3 Home Runs. I wish that I had been able to watch the game yesterday because this was just such a beat down by the Nationals. The first two games in the series the Mets beat the Nats first 7-5 and then 5-3 but this third game everything completely changed.  It all started with Syndergaard, who the previous week said he didn't need an MRI for an injury and taking an extra few days off by missing his scheduled start would be enough. Yeah that was so not the case as he gave up 5 runs in the first inning and left in the second. Turns out after his MRI that he has a lat strain on his pitching arm and is now on the 10 day DL.

Due to Syndergaard's injury and the fact that the Nationals were just having their way with the Met's bullpen that the back up catcher had to pitch in the 8th inning. The game through the 4th inning was respectable with the Nats up 6-4 and then after that it was a blood bath with the Nationals scoring 17 runs off of 19 hits. With a score like this the Nationals may have just shown that there are times when a mercy rule should come into effect, since this game was quite sad for the Mets and the their players. Granted scores like this don't happen often so there may not really be a need for it; but there is just something about this game that has me thinking that it may not be such a bad idea for both the MLB and NCAA to have this rule in place for games just as this.

Back to the game I really wished I had watched it because the Nationals are my second team after the Giants, sadly living back in San Francisco I am unable to watch too many of the games. The Nats this year are really interesting to watch and Bryce Harper, man he is just rocking it this year so far and he is back to being his MVP self. I don't know this might be crazy to say but if Harper keeps playing like he is then he is the NL MVP and the Nationals will be tough to beat as they have solid bats, who are able to drive in runs just like Rendon did yesterday. I may have to get the MLB Network to watch the Nats this because they are amazing and might be the team to beat, though the Yankees are playing fairly well and sadly the Dodgers, much as that pains me to say, really pains me to say. This will be an interesting year for baseball and I am excited to watch all the baseball I can. I am going to all of the Giants vs Nats games when they come to SF because I need to watch both teams.

I hope you all enjoyed this post and will keep following my love affair with sports.

Comments

Popular Posts