NCAA Football: The Fall of Ohio State

Yesterday I'm on twitter and I see a tweet that is retweeted by one of the people I follow saying that Jim Tressel has resigned as the Head Coach of the Ohio State football program after 10 years and a 106-22 record amid a NCAA investigation.  All of the trouble started back in December of last year when the NCAA caught 5 Ohio State players who had sold Big 10 Championship memorabilia and it came out that Tressel had known but decided against mentioning this to the compliance department at Ohio State.  Also one of the players indicted in the investigation was Terrelle Pryor the star Quarterback for Tressel and the player that was going to define his career.  Unfortunately Pryor did define Tressel's career as one of the reasons that led to his retirement amidst all of the investigations and allegations.

Both Tressel and Pryor along with four other players were originally suspended for the first 5 games of the season.  Now we shall see if Pryor even comes back to Ohio State or if he will be allowed to come back as there is now a new investigation that is centered on him to see if he received improper benefits while at Ohio St.  The original investigation showed that he received some type of benefits.  Now I believe that the NCAA is finding that a lot of things have been hidden by the football program and are trying to get to the bottom of it.  The only sad thing is that they are in the process of taking down on of the biggest programs in the country.  I am not sure how Ohio St. will bounce back next year.  They will have a new coach and I am sure there will be sanctions against the school that will be stringent.

My biggest problem is that Tressel was known as the Senator to Ohio St. fans and he was supposed to be of that rare breed of coach that was trustworthy and someone who you believed played by the rules.  Now he does live up to his nickname as most people are disillusioned by politics and college athletics.  The current trend in allegations by the NCAA has definitely made me wonder about college athletics at big schools and makes me pray that there will never be allegations against the coaches that I admire because the few coaches that I think are admirable are the only reason I have not lost faith in college athletics and still follow it religiously.

I hope you all enjoyed this post and keep following my love affair with sports. 

Comments

Popular Posts