College Basketball: One and Done players

One of my biggest issues with College Basketball is the fact that there are players who only go to college to play one year of basketball before they declare for the NBA draft.  I've always believed that to truly become a better player for the NBA all players need more then one year in college athletics.  Players need time to season and learn more skills that are going to help them in the long run in the NBA.  It seems that so many of the one and done players go into the NBA with only half of the skill sets that they need. Most are amazing shooters and can always make the shot and make it look flashy but have a hard time getting back onto defense.  Your first season in the NBA is not your training ground, most NBA teams are looking for players who have all of the skills and not just one or two unless of course they are the Wizards then they are just looking for a big name to fill in the seats and John Wall certainly does that.  Especially with his little dance that he does before every game.  But in all reality all Wall provides for the Wizards is a better shooting average but barely any defense.  While I may hate myself for saying this, he would have been better served with playing one more year at Kentucky and learning more defense from Calipari, who is someone I may not admire, I must admit he does know how to coach kids who all they want is to go to the NBA. 

Currently I'm really worried that two of my favorite freshmen this year are deciding to declare for the draft.  I really want Josh Selby and Harrison Barnes to come back for at least their sophomore seasons at their respective schools, granted this is selfish and their schools are my two favorite college teams, Kansas and UNC respectively.  But I do personally believe that both of these players need more time to become seasoned and to become better players.  Selby needs a full season of college basketball to prove to the NBA scouts that he can handle the NBA season of 81 games but this past season did not show that, first off because he missed 9 games due to a suspension and secondly because he was out with an injury and missed some more games.  That I would imagine would not really make you to high on many lists for the NBA and Selby should come back and play more.  On the other hand you have Harrison Barnes who did play the entire season and who was known as a freshmen to make clutch plays and win games for UNC.  This is a great talent to have and one that many NBA teams will want but I still feel like he has so much more he can learn from Coach Williams.  Also I want UNC to win another title next year and I do think that if Barnes stays he could do that and look at how much more of an NBA prospect he will be if he does have that ring.

In all honesty what is the point of going to college for one year and then leaving you are taking scholarships away from players who would want to stay for 3-4 years and actually get a college degree.  Though in this I totally blame David Stern the commisioner for the NBA because he decided that NBA teams couldn't take kids straight from high school anymore and thus he created this whole culture of the one and done player.  I'm tired of falling in love with a player and seeing what he can do for my team and then every April waiting around to see if he will come back for one more year or leave and go to the NBA.  College isn't here for ever but the NBA is always there and you can always improve your chances with more seasoning. 

I hope you all enjoyed this post and keep reading my love affair with sports.

Comments

Popular Posts