NCAA and the NBA Changing the Time Period for Players to Decide on their Futures

Currently there is a proposal on the table between the NCAA and the NBA about shortening the time that underclassmen have to decide if they want to pull out of the draft.  I'm not quite sure how I feel about this because the athletes need time to take a good look at their futures in the NBA.  I know in my last post I talked about how I really dislike the one and done rule, but if the athlete decides to go into the draft then let them make an informed decision on whether or not they are going to come back for a second season or come back for a third.  Yet on the other hand I do understand why the NCAA wants to shorten the decision time because technically the players are student athletes and they may need to take summer courses and if they do decide to come back for another year and it turns out that they did need to take summer classes, well what happens if the classes have already started.  This could be helpful for both the athlete and the coaches to see what will be the case.

Granted I'm a huge proponent of college athletes to stay as long as they can.  I have just found out that three players from Kansas are forgoing the rest of their college careers to declare for the Draft, the Morris twins and Josh Selby.  I can clearly understand why the Morris twins have decided to forgo their senior year because they have had phenomenal seasons but Josh Selby not who I thought would leave.  I only hope he hasn't hired an agent and that he takes a good look and realizes that he may not be such a high draft pick.  Though now that I think about it for a little bit, maybe shortening the time will end up being better for college basketball, players will have less time so if they are not quite a hundred percent true then they may not declare for the draft.  That could be a good thing, thus players have more time to season and become better athletes and better all around players.

Also I have recently heard that David Stern the Commissioner for the NBA is thinking about upping the age players have to be to be eligable for the Draft, thus getting rid of the one and done players.  I really like this idea, not going to lie, I hope it happens and I really do want to see my favorite players for more then one season. If you look at it, it helps more then it harms, teams have the chance to truly show off their freshmen and those players have a chance to improve and if say such as this year for Kentucky and UNC, which both have phenomenal freshman that played this past season, they would have at least one more year to try and go for the NCAA championship.  Which I believe can only help your draft status.  All in all I feel like while shortening the decision time can be harmful to college basketball I do understand why it may happen and I do hope that the one and done rule gets eliminated.

I hope you all enjoyed this post and keep reading my love affair with sports.

Comments

Popular Posts