NFL: The Draft and the Lockout

Well we have had a small short break before the lockout was reinstated and Judge Nelson's ruling was given a stay of action pending the appeal to the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals.  I'm not sure if I'm shocked at this or if I'm now just resigned to the fact that the NFL and the owners are not listening to anyone but themselves when it comes to the lockout.  The players and coaches all wanted the lockout lifted so that new coaches could start meeting players and start to create relationships with the players; relationships that are going to be integral when it comes to next season and how the players play for their new head coach.  I do understand why the Appellate Court is doing this because technically in legal terms it makes sense, it makes certain that nothing that happens during that time will interfere with them making a good decision.  That doesn't mean that I have to like it at all.  I think that the lockout is a stupid idea and that it is giving unfair power to the owners and the NFL because it is depriving the players of their ability to get back into top shape for the beginning of the season and it doesn't allow for new players to get organized as to how their team runs their offseason.

Now onto the other part of this post the Draft, even though the lockout is in place we have had the first 3 rounds of the draft.  Is anyone surprised that Cam Newton went first, I'm not.  I think though that the Panthers need a big name to try and get their fans motivated and to get them really excited about the coming season.  Though I'm not to sure how good Cam will be as a quarterback in the NFL.  He does have the athleticism to do well but as quarterback we shall see next season if their is a football season. 

My 49ers had three picks in the first three rounds and they ended up selecting a quarterback with their second pick, they selected Colin Kaepernick in the second round.  From everything I hear about him, he is a versatile player who has the ability to become a franchise player and a quarterback we can build a team around.  We shall see what this does to Alex Smith who has been offered a 1 year deal by the Niners for next year.  I think that they if Smith comes back then both of them will be vying for the starting spot, which is not such a bad thing for either player.  I just hope the lockout ends soon as to give both players a chance to make some decisions about what they want to do.  The other two picks for the 49ers were Aldon Smith with their lone first round pick, he is an offensive linebacker, which I do think we need next season, someone who can protect the quarterback very well and make certain he can get the throw off before being tackled.  The other pick is Chris Culliver who is a cornerback; from what I hear, the Niners did not make the best pick when they chose him but I shall suspend judgment until I learn more about him and see him play.

I hope you all enjoyed this post and keep following my love affair with sports.

Comments

Popular Posts