Championship Week: Best week before March Madness

This week is Championship Week and we get the best preview of what to expect once we hit Tuesday and the official start of March Madness.  This week you have the bubble teams trying to prove that they deserve a chance to be in the tournament and sometimes are looking for the automatic berth as the only chance they have to make it into the tournament.  I love this week as a College Basketball fan, it provides me with so much to think about as I get ready to create my bracket and see who will make it to the Championship Game and ultimately be the best team in the country and win the NCAA title.  This year its hard for me as I have four teams that I love North Carolina, Indiana, Kansas and Michigan; all four of these teams are amazing and have had great games and horrible games.  Yet all four of them have the ability to make deep runs.  Most people are predicting that North Carolina and Kansas will be the last two #1 seeds and in my mind that may or may not be a curse, as most teams that have the #1 seed don't seem to win though granted Duke did win as a #1 seed in 2010 but still I like that they are considered to be so good but we do all like the underdog story.

This year maybe the best year for the tournament in quite a while, there is no clear cut favorite to win and people are saying that the winner may not even be in the top 4.  There are at least 6 or 7 teams that people are talking about North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, Syracuse, Mizzou, Michigan St and Duke.  These teams are all in the running to win and I will through in the two other teams I have mentioned before I see Indiana and Michigan making deep runs.  Indiana this year has Cody Zeller who is phenomenal and much as it does hurt to say as a true North Carolina fan but he may be better then his brother Tyler.  He is proving to be a big part of the resurgence of Hoosier Basketball and I couldn't be more glad that this historic program is coming back and is back in the game.  This year they beat both Kentucky and Ohio St who at those times were the 1 and 2 teams in the country.

Now Michigan, this is a team that fought back to win a share of the Big 10 regular season Championship and they did it in a strong way by winning the last 6 of 7 games in the Big 10 and in that stretch they beat Ohio St at home which helped with them getting to a place where they could think of a three way tie.  Then they were helped by their arch nemesis Ohio St who beat Michigan St.  But it wasn't all luck they have amazing players who work together and play together in a way that you don't see to often.  Two players Burke and Hardaway Jr. who both average around 15 points a game.  Michigan has come a long way and this year the Big 10 may be the conference to beat in the tournament.

I can't wait for selection Sunday to see who is in and who is out.  What the rankings are and how it will all play out.  One thing that I will be sad about is that my Alma Mater American won't be playing this year but next year I hope.

I hope you all enjoyed this post and keep following my love affair with sports.

Comments

Popular Posts