Why March is Mad: Upset City in the First Two Days

Last night concluded the Round of 64 and while Day 1 had a few notable games and technically one upset with VCU beating Wichita St but I am going to be honest and say that VCU winning wasn't really an upset considering how they did last year and I'm pretty certain that most people had them winning.  We also saw Indiana and Kentucky handily winning their games to advance to the Round of 34.  I didn't watch the Kentucky game but from watching the highlights the game seemed to advance as it did all year with Anthony Davis making great stops and pretty much being one of the best all around players that anyone has seen this year.  The only reason I can see for Anthony Davis staying in school for one more year would be if Kentucky doesn't win the National Championship this year because I think he really wants that but if Kentucky does win this year no way is he staying.  Now the Indiana game I did watch and that was a pure pleasure to watch as an Indiana fan, they played sharp and showed us why Indiana has had such a great season.  They did this without their senior Vernell Jones and that really does show me that they have the ability to play under pressure.  Cody Zeller was his usual phenomenal self and they also had a lot of help from Jordan Hulls who ended the game with 22 points.  Today Indiana plays VCU and that will be a great game to watch and it will be close but I do see Indiana winning.

Day 2 of the Round of 64, this was where all of the major upsets happened.  Who would have thought that two number 2 seeded teams would fall on the same day.  Prior to yesterday only 5 teams had beaten a #2 seed and yesterday two teams did.  I already talked about Norfolk St, so lets talk about Lehigh beating Duke.  As an alumna of American University I do know quite a bit about Lehigh and as a fan of American I hate Lehigh, but yesterday I was rooting for them because I hate Duke more.  Also having had watched Lehigh and followed them a little bit this season to see how American would stalk up against them; I couldn't discount that they are a good team and CJ McCollum is an amazing player and there is a reason he is Patriot League Player of the year.  Watching the second half I could see all of the issues of the Duke team, they have the pieces on the back court and they are strong with Seth Curry and Austin Rivers but the front court they only have the Plumlee brothers and you can't have a strong team with so little depth.  Now don't get me wrong usually Duke wouldn't have any trouble against a weaker team but Lehigh understood how to play against them and used all of the disadvantages of Duke against them to win the game.  Next up Lehigh plays Xavier and I see them winning that game too because they are so good this year.  I will be rooting for them for the Patriot League even though I know it means nothing for my school it is still an achievement for the league as a whole.

The other major upset was when Ohio beat Michigan, this game I did not see coming though I did have some doubts about Michigan and their rebounding and what killed them this game it was their rebounding.   Though next year I hear they have some amazing talent coming in like 6' 10" Center Mitch McGary; this recruiting class is being touted as being as good as the Fab 5.  I look forward to see how they do next year.

I hope you all enjoyed this post and keep following my love affair with sports.

Comments

Popular Posts